Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Day Four: First Show in Baltimore! (By Kim)

Okay, first let's just admit that after today I probably won't be able to keep up the rhyming title thing. I mean, unless tomorrow I have occasion to say something like, "Day Five: Kim Takes a Nosedive." And I REALLY hope I don't have occasion to say that!

Today we said goodbye to Virginia and headed off to Baltimore, driving through D.C. along the way. SO COOL! I can't wait to get out there tomorrow and see the monuments and stuff. It's very exciting.

Our gig tonight was at a place called Baltimore Chop. Apparently this is a baseball term of some sort. I don't know from baseball, so I'll take it on faith. The shop is a bookstore which specializes in baseball books, along with an assortment of other interesting topics. Here's a shot of the outside of the store, and a close-up of one of the front windows.

Becks has been bizarrely camera-shy, so I've had to be a little sneaky in getting some shots off. Here she is outside the shop, with our poster in-frame on the lamp-post. Very cool!


This sign was on the door when we arrived. We were greeted outside by Brad, one of the guys who works the weekly Bluegrass Jam. He was outside playing guitar and watching a package that had been dropped off by Fed-Ex. We chatted with him until Andy, the owner, arrived and let us in. Just in time as a thunderstorm was brewing and rumbling over our heads.

While we were starting to set up, Andy's friend Dan came in with his GINORMOUS dog, Jake. It's hard to really see it in the pictures, but the dog is HUGE. He's also completely adorable and friendly, and clearly a music-lover. He's definitely our biggest (and hairiest--as far as we know) fan.

Here's Dan and Jake.

And here's me and Jake. Such a cutie!

We ultimately decided to fly without sound equipment because the place was intimate with great acoustics. As we were prepping to bring some of our gear back out to the car, a spot opened up right in front of the shop. I went to get the car to repark it, and in driving around the block got COMPLETELY lost. I ended up on a 45-minute tour of Baltimore before I found my way back thanks to the maps Rebecca had in the car. I did manage to snap a couple of pictures at red lights:



I finally made it back and we got the gig under way. It was a total blast, with a nice-sized appreciative crowd. During our break the bluegrass jammers played some tunes, with Becks jumping in on mando.



When the gig was over, we went with Rebecca's friend Andrew and his friend Lena to have some chow at the Paper Moon diner. WHAT A COOL PLACE! Doc, you would go wild for this decor. And my sister, who has a Pez collection of her own, would definitely love to check out theirs. I took some pics just for her, and anyone else who is interested in Pez and other retro toys being used in a bizarre decorative fashion.

We arrived 15 minutes before they closed, and they were not happy with us, but we promised to order quickly. As we were being handed menus I jumped up to photograph the Pez display. Andrew was trying to convey to me the importance of sitting down and ordering fast. My response, "I would rather not eat than not take that picture." So there ya go, Kristen!

Ultimately I did not have to starve, and had instead a yummy breakfast quesadilla, with leftovers for tomorrow.

Here are the pics of Paper Moon:

My new boyfriend...




Tonight we are staying with Rebecca's friends Andrew and Edie's dad in Baltimore. He lives in a gated community--which is a first for both of us. Let's just say IT'S NICE.

Tomorrow we play Kramer Books in D.C., and also plan to check out the monuments and stuff--which I have never seen--during the day. So I guess I should get to bed now so I can handle all of that without passing out!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

PEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KRISTEN LOVES PEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS KIMMIE!!!!