Sunday, May 25, 2008

Crab AND Imitation Crab (by Rebecca)

Last night was a night of firsts. Kim and I had our first of two local gigs before hitting the road, a fab show at a terrific little coffee shop called Cafe Ziba in Acton, MA. And, Kim had her first (maybe second?) Thai dinner, at my prompting, at one of my favorite restaurants: Baan Thai, in Waltham. We were excited. We were hungry.

Kim saw crab rangoon on the menu. So we asked if they were made with real crab (b/c I keep kosher, and I know that restaurants often make "crab" rangoon with whitefish, which means I can eat it. Yay!) So the waitress went to check, and initially told us they were just fish. Then she came back and said they were made with a combination of fish and crab. Boo. Not kosher.

So, we went ahead and ordered the other dishes we wanted, and Kim decided to opt out of the crab rangoon. Meanwhile, I got rainbow soup as an appetizer, one of my favorite Baan Thai treats. I had some dripping issues with my soup...looked down, and saw this:


It's a CRAB! And do you know which American city is famous for fresh crab? BALTIMORE! Oh, the coincidence. Oh, the humanity! Oh...the joys of having a cell phone camera. (I tried getting a shot of it without the shadow of my phone in the picture, but to no avail.) In any case, it's a good thing Kim didn't order something more obscene, which might have then appeared on my place mat.

So there you have it. The first poke of the universe aimed at Kimmy and me, and the first story of our tour.

Stay tuned for future installments. You can bet the wacky posts will primarily be written by me. :P

Your queen crab,
Rebecca

P.S. Hope to see you at our Somerville house concert this Saturday! For directions and reservations, e-mail marshall@giantantconcerts.com. Woo hoo!

No comments: